Friday 24 August 2012

What motivates employees more than money?

Money is obviously an important factor when looking for a job, and staying in a job. We all have bills to pay and want to live comfortably. However, even if my salary is sky high, at the end of the day if I am not happy in my job then I am unlikely to stay. 

So what else can employers do to motivate their staff, aside from money? Ilya Pozin from Time Business shares 9 ideas:
  1. Be generous with praise
  2. Get rid of the managers
  3. Make your ideas theirs
  4. Never criticise or correct
  5. Make everyone a leader
  6. Take an employee to lunch once a week
  7. Give recognition and small rewards
  8. Throw company parties
  9. Share the rewards, and the pain. 
I'm not sure if I 100% agree with all 9 of these ideas (some of them might not work for every company), but I do like the thoughts behind them. For further detail on each of these ideas and how to make them work, read the full article here


No comments:

Post a Comment