Wednesday 20 August 2014

Student stepping on the stones to success

As a student pursuing a degree in Human Resources, working at SteppingStones and learning the ropes of the recruitment processes will start to give me an insight into what I hope my everyday life may one day entail!
I have completed my first week of my four week internship and have already learned a great deal. Last week I sat in on phone interviews as well as physical interviews, completed an audit, learnt how to format resumes and the list goes on… Let’s just say SteppingStones is the epitome of proficiency and efficiency!

The central lesson of the week was learning the differences in the process of recruiting temporary versus permanent staff. I was able to begin to understand this through sitting in on interviews for permanent candidates as well as temporary support staff candidates to see the different questions which have to be asked.
I also spent some time observing the daily function of their program which tracks candidates all the way from the application process to the placement process and it is essentially the pillar of their everyday procedures.

As a recruitment agency, throughout the many processes on their endless list, the consultants encounter tasks which the HR field sees on a daily basis such as immigration, advertising job posts, interviews, training, payroll, etc. I am hoping that this internship will allow me to have first-hand experience of what I am studying, and also give me the opportunity to begin to further develop my office and interpersonal skills and formulate a realistic understanding of what exactly I would like to pursue in the HR field once I have completed my degree.

I look forward to this week which will be similar to the first week with some formatting of resumes, an audit project, learning about the importance of reference checking as well as the process of doing so, and more shadowing during interviews. As the beginning of last week was used to familiarize me with everything, working this week and the end of last week, I can see that I am already much more confident in the nature of this work.  I’ll be back with an update of my work experience next week!

For more information on employment in Cayman visit the SteppingStones website

No comments:

Post a Comment